Time to Jump, or at Least Fall With Style.

     So to start off this blog post, I would like to announce that I have officially made it under 200lbs, weighing in this morning at a stunning and sultry 198lbs! That's right folks! The curse is broken, and we are moving forward with my vision of being a bookish, brunette, Marilyn Monroe meets Christina Hendricks type, with stiletto nails and tattoos; add a little Jesus in there, and you've got my ideal self portrait. To all of those who have been reading faithfully and sending me prayers and encouragement, thank you and please don't stop.
My best friend Jocelyn and I, on a Tuesday.
     So very recently I was with a friend at the gym and we were talking about things I want to do before December; if we've talked intimately, you know that 2017 has been the year of going to live events. I've been to several plays, and I've got some concerts coming up, though, due to financial circumstances, I didn't get to do my original "one-a-month" goal. Adult fiscal obligations, am I right?
     Anyway, I was expressing to my friend that before the year is out, and now that I have a job, I'd like to go to a Panthers game. I have this desire not because I love ice hockey, or even really sports for that matter; but rather because I have this adorable sweater that I have not been able to wear because we live in the freaking Sun-Shine State. Do not judge me. Ladies, you know exactly what I'm talking about.
    So in response to this, my friend recommended that we go ice skating. That would also accomplish my goal of wearing the sweater. As he suggested this, my mind was assaulted by images of me on a summer camp field trip to the ice rink, completely wiping out on that cold slick surface and coming away with a bruise the size of a coconut on my right knee. (To be fair, I fell way more than once that trip. That coconut one was the only time I hadn't managed to fall with some kind of panache.)
   I told him no, we would not be going ice skating. And then, because I am an INFJ everyday all the time, I began to analyze why I had said no. Ice skating is fun, right? Cheaper than a hockey game? Yes. So why was I choosing the latter? And the answer came very clearly, as it was something I had long ago recognized in myself. I was afraid.
     Afraid of looking dumb, afraid of getting hurt, just afraid of the unknown. Afraid of that horrific "What if". I have severe to moderate social anxiety, so this is to be expected. But this is a part of me that I'm not super in love with. I was not given a heart of fear, after all. Even if I have social anxiety, I'd like to work to conquer it. Because this new push towards health isn't just about my body, but rather about me living my life to the fullest in every way.  In that moment, I thought of this blog and of that Jim Carrey movie Yes Man. I'd like to have your assistance and participation in an exercise that will help me stop making choices out of fear. Help push me out of my comfort zone!
      In comments or personal messages, I'd like you guys to suggest some activities! Things for me to try that might be a little uncomfortable, or that I've never tried before. These things could include some physical aspect to help me get a work out in, or they could be social activities, like going Speed Dating or some other absurd activity that I'd normally have to be dragged to.  Keeping in mind, that baby girl has a budget, give me suggestions and I'll make a list; as I get a chance to do them, I will report back on my experience and my thoughts. Hilarity and personal growth is soon to follow; for the record, I hope we can work up to something like what Yubing Zhang did in the video above, instead of having a suggestion like that right out of the gate. You know who you are...don't do it, be merciful. 
      I'm gonna be 24 in a month, nearing the second half of what is supposed to be the most action packed and adventurous decade of my life...or so they say; so I'm ready for a change. I'm ready to stop living in fear. It's time to take chances, get messy...and even to make some...dare I say it... mistakes? Because what is life without a little color, a little failure, a little flavor, a little triumph? Bland. Very bland. And I'm all about zest. I look forward to hearing your suggestions and I'm gonna do my best to keep the weight loss ball rolling! In the meantime...

 Thanks for reading, and happy eating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That B@$%ard in the Candy Cane Forest

Taking Care of It, and by It, I Mean Me.